According to Chinese medical philosophy, energy or “Qi” circulates throughout the body along specific pathways or meridians. Along these pathways there are specific points that allow access to various body organs and systems. Pain and illness is caused by an imbalance or blockage of the pathways.
Acupuncture TREATS these blockages allowing the body to circulate energy the way it properly should.
“There is evidence that acupuncture influences the production of and distribution of a great many neurotransmitters and neuromodulators, and that this in turn alters the perception of pain.”
— David Eisenberg, M.D., Clinical Research Fellow at Harvard Medical School
The National Institutes of Health recognizes the benefit of acupuncture for a variety of conditions.
The World Health Organization has endorsed its use for treating more than two hundred disorders, including:
- Bones, muscles, joints and nervous system
- Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat
- Gastrointestinal: Food allergies, peptic ulcer, chronic diarrhea, constipation, indigestion, gastrointestinal weakness, anorexia and gastritis
- Urogenital: Stress incontinence, urinary tract infections and sexual dysfunction
- Gynecological: Irregular, heavy or painful menstruation, infertility in women and men, and premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Respiratory: Emphysema, sinusitis, asthma, allergies and bronchitis
- Circulatory Disorders: Hypertension, angina pectoris, arteriosclerosis and anemia
- Emotional and Psychological Disorders: Including depression and anxiety
- Addictions: Including alcohol, nicotine and drugs